This is no ordinary day and it’s no ordinary Wednesday! Today is Dec. 12, 2012, aka 12-12-12. We’ve had this trifecta every year since the first day of the new millennium (01/01/01) but such a calendar triplicate won’t happen again until 2101.
Whatever your favorite number is, you must admit that the number 12 has a lot going for it. It is one of the few smaller numbers that can be evenly divided into multiple subsets; 12 breaks down into halves, thirds, fourths, sixths and twelfths—making 12 (and all of its multiples) a very useful number.
There are 12 inches in a foot, 12 ounces in a troy pound (which is used to measure gold, silver and gems), 12 basic hues in a color wheel, 12 in a dozen, 12 inches in a foot, 12 notes in an octave, 12 jurors selected, 12 hours on a clock, and the all-important 12th man in College Station.
So, what’s available for you to do on this memorable day of 12-12-12? Here are some suggestions:
- Get married. According to MSN, there will be a 1,446 percent increase in marriages today over this date one year ago (12-12-11). One Las Vegas chapel is expecting 10 times the number of weddings today. Hint: the most important aspect of your marriage is NOT your wedding date although remembering it does come in handy.
- Work your magic on a Hula Hoop. Today is World Hoop Day where people of all ages will swivel their hips to promote world peace and the importance of good, clean play. But of course, you already knew this.
- Attend the Concert for Sandy Relief at Madison Square Garden tonight. Or, just record it at home, make an online donation and save the airfare.
- Go ahead and mark all your calendars for January 1, 2101 when the next calendar trifecta is scheduled (01-01-01). I may wait just a bit before I do this.
- But here is my top level recommendation for what to do today, December 12, 2012. Ready? Bless God. Bless Him verbally. Let your words carry your worship to Him. Before you see or solve any problem, bless God so that you can see Him first. When you bless God you experience Him and connect with Him. Thirty-six times (3 x 12) the New Testament contains some line that says, “Blessed be God.” And it just so happens that in our UPLIFT service tonight I’ll be talking about the fresh air that blessing God brings your own soul. Tonight’s message is “Raise Your Praise First.”
I hope to see you tonight 12-12-12 in our UPLIFT service. But don’t forget that we start at 7:00.