“Without a friend you cannot live, and if Jesus be not above all a friend to you, you will be sad and desolate.” — Thomas a’Kempis1. I love Jesus because no one has ever loved me with as much initiative, intensity and personal cost.
2. I love Jesus because he lived a perfectly righteous life and I get credit for it in the eyes of God.
3. I love Jesus because he is a great finisher — and he will complete the work that he started in me several years ago.
4. I love Jesus because he has officially and completely canceled my outstanding debt to God by nailing it to his own cross.
5. I love Jesus because he is my Good Shepherd leading and teaching me with truth and grace.
6. I love Jesus because he modeled a courageous, trusting, non-anxious presence within the most trying of circumstances.
7. I love Jesus because he compels me to open my prone-to-be-stingy heart and experience the joy of active compassion.
8. I love Jesus because in my times of need he ministers to me with sympathy and mercy, not condemnation.
9. I love Jesus because he shows me that humility, submission and forgiveness are counter-cultural, counter-intuitive pathways to a better life.
10. I love Jesus because he frees me from the dual fear of an aimless life and a hopeless death.
11. I love Jesus because he keeps sending me one good gift after another to which I am not entitled – but grateful.
12. I love Jesus because he trusts me, as one part of his church, to continue the work he started and he supportively pays attention to every effort I make to serve him.